Brightcom Group’s Valuation

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder

1>

Brightcom Group’s Valuation

Hi everyone, in this article I will discuss about the past, present and to an extent future valuation of Brightcom Group. I won’t predict the stock price of BCG and won’t be giving out targets for the stock price.

No one can predict the future, if they did then they would be the richest persons in the world, but that is not the case, the richest persons in the world are hard and smart workers. So, my advice is to look at the company’s business and analyze it’s strengths and weaknesses instead of predicting it’s price movements (“we can’t predict the future but we can prepare for it”).

(If anyone finds it difficult to understand some of the topics discussed here, they can refer other threads like Brief History of BCG, Market Sentiment, Suresh Reddy Underrated? The Reasons for the fall in Stock Price of BCG, Brightcom’s Growth etc)

BCG’s current valuation is Rs.550 crores (as on 12 June,2020). Back in 2010 before BCG was a public company, it was valued at $ 300 million (around Rs.2250 cr). When BCG came to the stock market in 2012, its price was Rs.95 and had a market cap of Rs.4500 cr.

In 2012 BCG was making Rs.190 crs profit and market cap was Rs.4500 cr but now when BCG is making Rs.450 cr profit, it’s market cap is only RS.550 cr. BCG’s market cap and of course the stock price has fluctuated a lot since coming to the stock market but the company is growing it’s profits every year.

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

2>

Is Brightcom Group undervalued?

The current stock price nowhere reflects the true value of BCG. The company, in my opinion, deserves a valuation that is many more times higher than the current valuation the market is giving.

Many startups that have huge losses are valued more than BCG. Let’s look at some of the companies that are valued more than BCG but don’t deserve that valuation.

ZOMATO

Recently Zomato was valued at $ 3.25 billion (close to Rs.25,000 cr). In FY 2018, revenue was Rs.485 cr and losses were Rs.106 cr. In FY 2019, revenue was Rs.1397 cr and losses were Rs.1001 cr.

SWIGGY

Recently Swiggy was valued around $ 3.5 billion (Rs.26,500 cr). In FY 2018, revenue was Rs.442 cr and losses were Rs.397 cr. In FY 2019, revenue was Rs.1593 cr and losses were Rs.2363 cr.

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

3>

Coming to BCG’s competitors

The Trade Desk (TTD)

TTD’s market value is $ 16.5 billion (Rs.1.25 lakh crore). In FY 2019, revenue was $ 661 million (Rs.5000 cr) profit was $ 108 million (Rs.820 cr). EPS was $ 2.43 so P/E is 145 (P/E is considered for last year EPS, if you Google, it shows P/E as 140)

AFFLE

AFFLE’s market value is Rs.3732 cr. In FY 2019, revenue was Rs.250 cr and profit was Rs.48.8 cr and EPS was Rs.20.1. In FY 2020, revenue was Rs.339.8 cr (35% increase) and profit was Rs.65.5 cr (34% increase). EPS was Rs.26.13 so P/E is 56.

InMobi

InMobi’s valuation is more than a billion dollars (Rs.7,500 cr). It is India’s first unicorn (startups that get more than $ 1 billion valuation are called unicorns). In FY 2019, revenue was Rs.384 cr and losses were Rs.54 cr. InMobi has raised over $ 320 million till now (over Rs.2400 cr).

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

4>

Looking at all these data, it is very clear that all these companies are massively overvalued. Swiggy, Zomato and InMobi are private companies and their valuation depends on what Venture Capital and Private Equity firms give them. Usually these VC and PE firms look at various metrics and they never care much about profits. They see revenue growth, EBITDA, market share etc to value these companies.

It is not easy to start companies like Swiggy and Zomato from scratch and that’s the reason they are valued so high. Even UBER Eats couldn’t compete with them and their Indian business was sold to Zomato. But that doesn’t have to mean they have to be valued at astronomical figures.

These VC and PE firms will be looking for other investors who would give more for the shares and they’ll exit the company. We can see many startups getting astronomical valuation and then suddenly they lose that valuation. WeWork is an example.

All these VC and PE firms will dump their shares to retail investors when startups go public. UBER and Lyft are some examples. Their IPO price was higher and many of the VC and PE firms wanted to exit at higher prices by selling their shares to retail investors but people were smart and didn’t buy the shares and that’s why UBER and Lyft both had lackluster IPOs. Now both UBER and Lyft are trading way lower than their IPO price.

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

5>

Like many startups, BCG is also in the new age technology business, it’s not easy to start a digital marketing company from scratch. It’s not easy to get clients to come to your new company. It’s not easy to become a global player.
    Many VC and PE firms saw this and they invested in BCG when BCG was a smaller company. They saw the company’s strengths. They knew that digital marketing has great future.

And the main point we have to observe is most of the startups don’t have profits and are always in losses and even after they come to the stock market they won’t have profits for many years.

But BCG always had profits. Even when it was a private company, BCG had profits

Not just profits but BCG’s other metrics are also great. In FY 2019, It’s operating margin was 30%, Net Profit margin was 17%, Return on Equity (ROE) was 15%, Return on capital employed (ROCE) was 26.5%. Yes, they have cash flow issues but comparing to many of the startups, BCG is far better. I don’t understand even after doing so well why BCG is valued so low.

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

6>

These startups wouldn’t survive if they don’t get funding frequently, all the time we can see these startups raising funds for their business. People don’t react to that in a negative way but when BCG wants to raise funds for business they’ll start complaining and make baseless allegations. Many people still don’t know the difference between profits and cash flow.

BCG is using all their profits for growth and they are growing without taking loans which is great. But startups burn all the cash provided by the VC and PE firms and still they require additional funds for survival.

Unfortunately, these startups are getting more valuation but BCG is not getting the valuation they deserve. These startups can easily raise funds by issuing more shares because they are overvalued but BCG can’t afford to do that. People should understand this.

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

8>

Comparing BCG with TTD and AFFLE.

In FY 2018, BCG’s revenue was more than TTD’s (BCG’s revenue was higher for many years) but starting from FY 2019 TTD’s revenue went up mainly because they entered China and did well there. Like I have mentioned many times before in other articles, TTD’s growth is high because their share price is higher (of course they are overvalued), they can easily get funds to grow by selling their shares. And also its easy to raise money in the US where people understand the business, here in India most of them don’t understand the business and also its very difficult to raise funds.

TTD’s market value is 227 times more than BCG’s which is not fair. BCG doesn’t deserve this low valuation.(for more details on BCG vs TTD, please refer other threads like BCG vs TTD accounts payable and BCG accounts receivable).

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

9>

Comparing with AFFLE, BCG’s profit is more than AFFLE’s revenue, BCG’s revenue is almost 8 times more than AFFLE’s revenue. BCG’s profit is 6.75 times more than AFFLE’s profit. But the funny thing is AFFLE’s market value (Rs.3732 cr) is almost 7 times more than BCG’s (Rs.550cr).

I don’t understand why market would value AFFLE so high. Yes AFFLE is growing but that doesn’t mean it deserves a high P/E ratio of 56. AFFLE is not a global player like BCG, yet it is getting more attention.

Mr.Reddy, the CEO of BCG, has rightly said that AFFLE is not their competitor. When people say AFFLE is better than BCG we should be laughing at them and their ignorance. People buying AFFLE at 56 PE are missing out on a great opportunity to invest in a global player like BCG which is available at just 1 PE.

If BCG traded in western markets where people understand the business properly, its valuation would’ve been way higher than what it is now. Here in India people only see price and dividends but don’t do the bare minimum research of the industry. Their thinking is only about dividends, they don’t care about growing the business. If BCG trades higher and garners more market share then they’ll pay handsome dividends, we have to have patience.

We are lucky to have a new age tech company trading in our markets and that too when it is available at dirt cheap prices.

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

10>

If BCG is so undervalued then why isn’t the market recognizing it?

As I’ve said many times before, people aren’t understanding BCG’s business, they still think it’s an IT company. They always ask if BCG is making so much profits then how come it is trading so low. They don’t find out why it is trading low. They want simple answers to complex problems.

As I’ve mentioned in many other articles, it is not so easy to run a global company like BCG. People want all the problems to go away and want solutions in short period of time. They don’t see stocks as pieces of business, if they did then they would’ve understood BCG’s problems (for more details refer The Reasons for the fall in stock price of BCG, Market Sentiment etc)

Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

11>

BCG’s future value.

It is very difficult to know what the future will be for any company, but for companies like BCG, future holds good. They may see some changes in advertisers behavior for a while because of COVID-19 pandemic (Airlines will reduce spending on ads and other industries may spend more).

As the world embraces technology, most of the things become digital. More people will watch movies, TV series, sport events on their devices. And this year they have the US Presidential election, since BCG does more business in the US, they’ll get more revenue because more people will watch news on their devices (they’ll stream more) and advertisers will spend heavily during that period (there are other benefits for BCG but I won’t go deep into it).

BCG is also clearing all their debts, settling Lycos case with DAUM, getting an LOC from a US bank to improve their cash flow and solve their receivable problems.

Yes, there were some issues that brought down the stock price of BCG but those issues didn’t change BCG’s business that much. Those issues only changed market perception about the company and its stock.

1+
    Saul Goodman
    Registered Boarder
    Topic Author

12>

Stock prices and market perception can change anytime but if a company’s business gets into trouble then it is next to impossible to bring it back on track. Though BCG’s troubles were very small, market reacted to them in a big way.

We should really applaud Mr.Suresh Reddy for handling the business well, yes he did stumble many times and took too long to resolve some of the issues but he made sure that the company’s business was not hurt. The company still continues to grow and looks in good shape for the future.

I’m eagerly waiting for the line of credit (LOC) that BCG wants, if they use that money wisely (I’m quite sure they will) then they can grow their business. All these years BCG has grown without any additional funds and it will be very interesting how much they can grow after getting that LOC.
    (Remember, BCG’s eps was 4.64 in 2014 and now it is 9.32 and they did this using their profits alone and till now they haven’t raised any additional fund)

(All these are my views and they should not be taken for buy or sell calls)

buffet
    Registered Boarder

Thank you Saul.This is masterpiece. Slowly, market is recognising bcg business. In due course, it will attain due valuation. I am invested in bcg since 6 years & won’t sell any for next 6 years. I am convinced more than ever our gem will shine bright beyond imagination. Thank you for enforcing that belief.

sobha
    Registered Boarder

Saul,
    Thank you very much for your wonderful presentation.

Ian Biden
    Registered Boarder

Saul, you are too good with your words and phrases, if I wasn’t wiser I’d think you are Suresh as a matter of fact since your knowledge of the industry is vast really vast. My thanks to you for enlightening us and making our belief even more stronger,
    My apologies to Suresh for doubting him and criticizing him earlier as he knew what he was doing was not a bandaid remedy but a full blown surgery to repair BCG.
    MY RESPECT MY APOLOGIES TO SURESH.

BrightVenus
    Registered Boarder

Mr.Saul Goodman,do you have any powers of incarnation? You discussed many things more deeply like CEO of BCG.Thank you very much for educating us.

Myshport
    Registered Boarder

Thanks Saul, for this detailed analysis of the company. It has,certainly, cleared a lot of “cobwebs”.

Now, we have to wait, patiently, for the biggies to “discover” the correct valuation so that it can reflect in the stock price.

Thank you, once again.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.